Monday, April 18, 2016

Museum of Art, Raleigh, NC

My husband and I recently visited the art museum in Raleigh, N.C. We went to see an exhibit of Childe Hassam's paintings. I only recently was introduced to this American impressionist and was delighted to see that the North Carolina Museum of Art was featuring works of his through June 19.

Along with the Hassam exhibit was another from the Minneapolis Institute of Art called "Marks of Genius: 100 Extraordinary Drawings." A third smaller exhibit, Barbara Cooney's original illustrations of her children's book, Island Boy rounded out the exhibit offerings.

A couple of hours were well-spent savoring Hassam's impressions of the "Shoal Islands" off the coast of New Hampshire and perusing the drawings from the institute. Photographing the paintings was prohibited but I did buy one print of rich red poppies dancing in the wind which I will frame for the guest bedroom. Those of you who are familiar with Barbara Cooney's books know the illustrations are simply elegant. They are well-done. Buy any one of her children's books. You will not be disappointed. The colors are rich and clean. The illustrations uniquely hers and no one else's. When we finished viewing the exhibits, we continued on to the main building where their permanent collection is housed. I took a few photographs. The one below is the Peruzzi Altarpiece. I have included the description from the museum below. It is from the famous artist, Giotto, late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries. It represents one of the many magnificent pieces of artwork that this museum has in its holdings. I did not have time to fully view their entire collection of European religious art. I will go back in the future to see and enjoy more of it. If you are in Raleigh, N.C., I encourage you to visit the museum and view some of its very fine holdings.

The Peruzzi Altarpiece




No comments:

Post a Comment