Saturday, February 25, 2017

Mardi Gras - Hush Puppies

Mardi Gras Hush Puppies
These Hush Puppies are delicious. They are from another recipe Doris Dean gave me. The Cajun Chicken and Andouille Gumbo recipe on my last post was hers. The Hush Puppies pictured here were my second batch and definitely an improvement over my first. I am not in the habit of deep-frying foods.It takes me awhile to master getting the temperature and the frying time right when I do deep fry. These puppies came out quite nicely, crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside. Below is the recipe. They go very well with gumbo. I am planning on making them again on the Monday before Mardi Gras to serve with a gumbo I just made. We will have a King's Cake from a local bakery for dessert or beignets. I have made the beignets dough but am waiting to fry them with my son-in-law's deep fryer. I will give you the beignets recipe in my next post with photos.

                                                              HUSH PUPPIES

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (buttermilk is best but anything will do)
Cajun seasoning (or red pepper - 1/2 tsp)
Chopped green onion tops (one bunch)
2 Tbsp grated onion

Mix dry ingredients in bowl.  In another bowl beat eggs, add milk, and add this to the cornmeal mixture.  Add onion and red pepper.  Drop by spoonful in hot deep fat (375 degrees) and fry until brown.  






No comments:

Post a Comment