|Bread Dough Crown of Thorns Painted Brown|
|Bread Dough Crowns of Thorns before Baking|
|Bread Dough Crowns of Thorns after Baking|
Bread Dough Crown of Thorns
PREP: 20 minutes
BAKE: 325 1 hour or until hard and dry
4 cups of flour
1 ½ cups of warm water
1 cup of salt
Toothpicks, round head is preferable
Large mixing bowl,
Large mixing spoon
DIRECTIONS: YIELD: 1 large or 4 mini-Crowns of Thorns
1. Combine flour and salt in bowl. Mix thoroughly. (For the classroom, have a few parents send in one recipe each in a plastic gallon bag. Only water will need to be added!)
2. Make a well in center of flour/salt mixture.
3. Pour 1 cup water into flour mixture and stir.
4. Add more water until flour is moist but not wet.* Continue mixing. May use hands.
5. Knead dough 5 minutes on floured board or in bowl until smooth.
6. Turn oven on to 325 degrees.
7. Take the lump of kneaded dough and roll between hands making a rope of about 18 inches in length and 1 inch in width. Repeat. Attach ends to one another making a fairly smooth seam by using a small amount of water to work dough together. (For smaller crowns divide the dough into four or six lumps. Follow preceding directions. Rope will be shorter.) I always get my rope too wide, so for a more authentic looking Crown of Thorns a narrower width is better. Place toothpicks in to look like sharp thorns.
8. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake for 1 hour or until very hard. Let cool thoroughly before painting.
*Be careful not to use too much water or bread dough will not harden but instead puff out!
Below is an example of a Crown of Thorns that you may find useful as a pattern.
We use acrylic paints to paint our Crown of Thorns. With children I always make sure they wear an old shirt or apron when using acrylic paints since they do not wash out. You may seal it with a clear, spray or acrylic sealer if you wish. Washable paints can be used if you prefer. The Crown of Thorns will store well after the Lenten season, You can store it in a plastic gallon bag in a cool, dry place. It will last for years.
Prayer to the Sacred Head of Jesus
WISDOM of the Sacred Head, guide me in all my ways.O Love of the Sacred, consume me with Your fire.
Three Glorias, in honour of the Divine Will, Memory and Understanding.
O Seat of Divine Wisdom, and guiding Power, which governs all the motions and love of the Sacred Heart, may all minds know You, all hearts love You, and all tongues praise You, now and for evermore..