Friday, March 11, 2016

St. Patrick's Day - We are going to have a party

St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland
Detail from stained glass window at St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church,
Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY



Dad/Grandpa, Robert Patrick, Born March 16
 We are planning a joint celebration for St. Patrick's Day and my husband Bob's birthday. All the family is coming except our son, Tom, and his wife, Meredith. They live at a distance. Our six grandchildren will be here, and we are planning to make some yummy treats with them and for everybody. Here are pictures with links to the recipes for our treats. Don't they look just delicious?

Mint Oreo Truffles

Of course we will have some games. I found a great scavenger hunt on line for the kids, and after all their running around, we will show the CCC movie, St. Patrick: Brave Shepherd of the Emerald Isle. This movie is put out by CCC of America. The link is below if you want to buy one for your children or grandchildren.


No St. Patrick party would be complete without Irish entrees. I will be serving Corn beef and Cabbage and Guinness Stew. There will be my Irish-born mother-in-law's Irish Soda Bread. You can find the recipe on my Tuesday, March 17, 2015 post. It is an excellent recipe and has a hint of nutmeg which you do not find in other soda bread recipes. To go with the Irish Soda Bread and our birthday cake for Grandpa will be Irish Coffee. We always buy a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey for the occasion.



And our toast!

Lastly no gathering of the Irish and their descendants would be complete without praying part of 
St. Patrick's Breastplate. 

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.


Happy Feast of St. Patrick

and 

Happy Birthday Grandpa!





















No comments:

Post a Comment